Sales Management: The Need of Emotionality
#SalesChats: Episode 21
When you mention emotion in sales management, people often imagine something negative. Perhaps they get an image of someone getting mad or angry or upset or frustrated, or having another professionally inappropriate display of emotion. But, there is a way to connect on an emotional level, as human beings, in a process driven way, that can be very appropriate and helpful within the context of sales management and sales leadership. Ken Thoreson explores emotionality in sales management in this #SalesChat, hosted by John Golden and Martha Neumeister.
- Aligning the soul of the individual with the goals of the corporation
- The high turnover rate of sales managers, and how utilizing emotion can help reduce this rate
- How a sales manager that connects with their salespeople can get their team behind them and supportive of their direction
- Why salespeople need to utilize emotion, and how the sales manager can bring that emotion into the sales organization
- How to integrate emotion, even when it doesn’t come naturally
- The importance of scheduling a one hour, one-on-one session, with each person on their team, at least once a month, in order to foster connection and create the right dynamic for an emotional conversation
- Discipline, accountability, and control in sales management
- Balancing the appropriate amount of emotional connection
- The differences between leadership and management, and the importance of putting both of these roles into perspective
- Understanding how to motivate the sales team emotionally
- Baby steps to get started integrating emotion into sales management techniques
- The importance of goal setting and being organized, and how a sales manager can help improve these skills in their sales team
- A telling style of sales management versus a selling style
Ken provides keynotes, consulting services, training and products to improve business and revenue performance. He has been ranked 4 times by Top Sales World magazine in the Top 50 Sales and Marketing Influencers. He is the author of 5 books; the most recent, SLAMMED! is for first time sales managers.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.
Martha is social media strategist, responsible for all social media platforms of Pipeliner CRM. She is a communication expert with social media affinity, which she has been focusing on throughout her professional career. She has a bachelor´s degree in Entrepreneurship & Management and a master´s degree in Online Marketing which supports her in her career as Social Media Strategist.
SalesChats is a fast-paced (no more than 30 minutes) multi-media series that provides leading strategies, tactics and thinking for sales professionals worldwide. It can be found on Twitter (#SalesChats), as a live Google+ Hangout, and as a podcast available on iTunes, SoundCloud and right here on SalesPOP! If you think you would make a great guest for #SalesChats, please contact co-host Martha Neumeister.
SalesChats is co-hosted by John Golden, CSO Pipeliner CRM, and Martha Neumeister, Social Media Strategist Pipeliner CRM.