Sales Prospecting – Are you doing it right?
#SalesChats Episode #18
Sales prospecting is the sales discipline that most salespeople aren’t very fond of. It is seen as a necessary evil, but if it’s embraced properly it can significantly influence success or failure. Dan McDade discusses sales prospecting, and how to understand it differently in order to use it properly in this #SalesChat, hosted by John Golden and Martha Neumeister.
- The many approaches to obtaining a qualified lead
- The tendency of organizations to encourage salespeople to juggle too many things, which leads to prospecting falling through the cracks, and not being done well when it is done
- When to begin prospecting and when to engage prospects
- Various statistics that mislead salespeople on when to engage with customers, and why this information has been disseminated
- How to be professionally persistent and overcome being ignored in the initial stages of the buying process
- The importance of adding value in order to engage with prospects
- Five steps of the sales process: finding the pain, getting an agreement that there is pain, getting agreement to do something about the pain, creating a generic solution, and creating a specific solution
- The tendency of salespeople to avoid the process of selling
- How to train someone to be a top prospector
- Asking the right questions in order to get buy-in from prospects, including pain inducing questions that help the clients get down to specifics about what problems they need solving
- The gap between marketing and sales when it comes to lead follow up, and how to close this gap
Dan McDade is founder and CEO of PointClear, a lead generation, qualification and nurturing company that helps B2B companies with complex sales processes drive revenue. Dan is the author of the award-winning outbound sales and marketing blog ViewPoint.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.
Martha is social media strategist, responsible for all social media platforms of Pipeliner CRM. She is a communication expert with social media affinity, which she has been focusing on throughout her professional career. She has a bachelor´s degree in Entrepreneurship & Management and a master´s degree in Online Marketing which supports her in her career as Social Media Strategist.
SalesChats is a fast-paced (no more than 30 minutes) multi-media series that provides leading strategies, tactics and thinking for sales professionals worldwide. It can be found on Twitter (#SalesChats), as a live Google+ Hangout, and as a podcast available on iTunes, SoundCloud and right here on SalesPOP! If you think you would make a great guest for #SalesChats, please contact co-host Martha Neumeister.
SalesChats is co-hosted by John Golden, CSO Pipeliner CRM, and Martha Neumeister, Social Media Strategist Pipeliner CRM.