The way you approach people is extremely important, especially in leadership. Think about the last time your superior approached you by saying, “I really need your help with this” vs “I need you to do this now.” Your drive to help was probably a lot different in each situation. Nationally recognized speaker, trainer, author, and business consultant, Velton Showell talks about common strategies leaders use for success. He shares what he has learned throughout his 20 years of working in sales and marketing leadership.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
What does dynamic leadership actually mean?
- Developing a leadership style is important to your success. This can come from working with many different types of people.
A holistic approach to culture
- The number one asset in an organization is people. You can only go so far as an individual.
- Trust is a big part of a successful, positive culture.
- People are sometimes misplaced in roles. It’s a leader’s job to realize when a person is not fitting in somewhere.
Approaching performance reviews
- These should never be a surprise. Make sure your employees know you have their best interest in mind.
- Give people accolades in public.
Building your team and vision
- Have a vision of success in mind and surround yourself with aces then let them fill in the blanks. You will be pushed to better yourself.
- There is a difference between a leader and a boss. Velton talks about the distinction.
Customer service vs customer experience
- Customer service describes a temporary situation while customer experience lasts a lifetime. Think Disney.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.