#SalesChats: Episode 34
Engagement breakdown is the point when a relationship falls apart with a prospect. Companies go through a lot of work to identify prospects, a lot of which is structured. There’s a systemized way of identifying prospects, and there’s a lot of visibility throughout this process. But, when the leads go out to the sales organizations, there is no consistency in how the leads are handled. This leads to a black hole of salespeople making independent decisions on how to proceed and can result in the lead relationship falling apart or not proceeding as planned. Mari Anne Vanella discusses engagement breakdowns in this #SalesChat, hosted by John Golden and Martha Neumeister.
• The common reasons why engagement breakdowns happen, including the effort needed to contact and engage with prospects, and the tendency of salespeople to give up too easily
• The first things that a salesperson should do in order to keep the prospect engaged, like keeping the lead talking. Show your expertise through the questions that you ask, not what you say
• Keeping leads engaged with things that resonate with them in order to combat the ever-shortening average attention span
• Ensure that your workspace is organized in order to keep the conversation moving, and document the things that you talk about in your CRM to keep a record
• Understanding verbal cues while on the phone to evaluate the prospect’s attention level
• Advance call planning, and why salespeople don’t consistently utilize this important step
• The problems that come with too much automation
• The best tools for salespeople and sales managers to use
• Common traps that precede engagement breakdown
• Creating a proactive approach to building bridges and relationships with prospects using genuine interaction in order to keep the conversation fresh and memorable
• Ways to assess if you are experiencing engagement breakdown
Mari Anne Vanella
is CEO of The Vanella Group, Inc. She is a sought after consultant, speaker, and sales development expert for B2B enterprise tech companies. Mari Anne is listed in the “40 Most Inspirational C-Level Leaders in Sales Lead Management” in 2016. She is also listed in the “20 Women to Watch in Sales Lead Management” in 2017, 2016, 2015. She has been invited to speak at Dreamforce 3x in featured sessions on sales engagement. She also represented the SMB CEO role at “LinkedIn Live” event where she discussed how SMB’s can successfully leverage LinkedIn as The Vanella Group, Inc. has. Recently she has authored the best-selling and award-winning book “42 Rules of Cold Calling Executives” which is available on Amazon.com and other retail channels.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.
Martha is social media strategist, responsible for all social media platforms of Pipeliner CRM. She is a communication expert with social media affinity, which she has been focusing on throughout her professional career. She has a bachelor´s degree in Entrepreneurship & Management and a master´s degree in Online Marketing which supports her in her career as Social Media Strategist.
SalesChats is a fast-paced (no more than 30 minutes) multi-media series that provides leading strategies, tactics and thinking for sales professionals worldwide. It can be found on Twitter (#SalesChats), as a live Google+ Hangout, and as a podcast available on iTunes, SoundCloud and right here on SalesPOP! If you think you would make a great guest for #SalesChats, please contact co-host Martha Neumeister.
SalesChats is co-hosted by John Golden, CSO Pipeliner CRM, and Martha Neumeister, Social Media Strategist Pipeliner CRM.