Creating Confident Salespeople
Tom Abbott, founder of The Sales Optimisation Company, speaker, consultant, and author helps companies build high-performance sales teams through training on his 7 pillars and 29 strategies for selling success. In this interview, Tom talks about the importance of discipline as well as mindset for selling success.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
Why is a mindset for selling success so important and how do I fortify it?
- Sales is probably the one job where you face rejection the most so you must have resilience.
- The mindset is going to separate you from everyone else. Tom talks about the importance of disassociating yourself from the product you’re selling.
How to have a mindset for selling success
- Draw upon past success. It can serve you in the present. It doesn’t just have to be a success as it relates to sales.
The confident competent infinite loop
- As you get good at things, your confidence levels go up. Tom talks about what happens next.
- Understand what you’re doing to contribute towards your success.
- You need the people skills as well as the process skills.
- This is part of the mindset for selling success. You have to have the discipline to follow the sales process.
- There are a lot of aspects of our jobs we don’t necessarily love. You have to love the other parts enough to make the less exciting parts worthwhile.
- First, recognize when you’re in a slump. Then ask why. It’s usually either external or internal or both.
- The more you learn the more you earn.
- There are no excuses to not learn more about your job role and improve.
- Tom explains the difference between winners and whiners.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.