Improving Inner AND Outer Behaviors of Salespeople
Organizations and sales teams perform better when they focus on developing the whole person of the salesperson, not just their external behaviors. Ryan Paugh, leadership coach, motivational speaker, and Head of Sales Training & Enablement at BetterUp, discusses his company’s idea of a whole person approach. He talks about the changing buying process, new demands of salespeople, and how they can keep up. Finally, he tells us the advice he gives to organizations and salespeople on how to stand out in the market today.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
- In a world of bots and disconnected communication, we crave authentic, real communication.
- Too many companies think they can create an authentic company culture with superficial activities. But you can’t force it.
Autonomy vs Accountability
- If you give salespeople more autonomy, you must make sure the goals and expectations are clear.
How to convey authenticity remotely
- A lot of selling (and working) happens remotely today. Ryan provides thoughts on this and the future of remote communications.
Is the role of the salesperson dying?
- Is the role of the salesperson going away or becoming more important and how does trust and credibility play into this?
- Buyers can go online and become an expert on your product so when they come to you, they are expecting more of a coach and don’t just want a “yes man.”
Allowing yourself to be a real person with customers
- Sometimes you will have to tell a buyer that your solution isn’t going to work for them which a lot of salespeople aren’t comfortable with. However, this is what builds trust and credibility.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.