The Importance of Sales Management
Sales are the biggest revenue multipliers so sales management is such a critical role if you want to grow your business. Many times organizations will promote their top sales performer to a sales management position with little to no training. Mary Grothe is the CEO of Sales BQ that helps companies improve their growth and revenue. Her company uses sales rep and sales manager evaluations to discover the problems that exist within sales organizations. In this interview she talks about their process, the success it has had, and how they’ve made lasting changes for sales organizations and their leaders.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
Assessing the state of your sales organization
- Mary first looks into the metrics because there is an emotional component when asking for opinions.
- Her first suggestion is to set up your CRM properly.
- She talks about other metrics to look at to help grow your business.
- Mary talks about what results are surprising to sales leaders after performing her initial assessment of a company’s sales team.
- Certain personality profiles don’t like getting into the data. A lot of sales leaders are this way. You may want to hire someone to solely focus on the numbers.
- It should never be a surprise when a rep doesn’t hit quota. You can use leading indicators to have better visibility.
The feel-good funnel
- Too many organizations have deals in the pipeline that really shouldn’t be there. Having a qualification system helps with this problem.
Keep it going
- There’s always initial enthusiasm but then the work gets difficult. Mary talks about how she keeps teams engaged and makes a lasting impact.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.