Building Businesses Strategically
When building businesses, it’s important to first make sure you have an edge. Also, what works for one person raising money might not work to fund your business. Joel Block runs a real estate hedge fund and speaks to corporate audiences across the country. In this interview, he talks about the importance of revenue and sales in building businesses as well as other areas to focus on.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
The genesis of Joel’s book Stop Hustling Gigs and Start Building a Business
- Joel has been inside over 1,000 companies over his career and the best companies seem to do certain things.
Helping people raise money
- A lot of people think they want venture capital, but it’s not always what they need.
- You don’t want to make a deal with the devil.
Effectively building businesses
- It’s always about revenue and selling.
- What type of business do you have?
- There are a lot of different ways to be successful.
Sales is in charge
- When you have money coming in you have more flexibility.
The other side of the river
- To fund your business you have to show investors the stepping stones to get them to the “other side of their river.”
Looking for left-handed plumbers
- People have a hard time going from very general to very specific. You have to be specific about what you want.
- Joel talks about getting yourself on the “inside track.”
Choose clients that are easy to find
- Apply your skills to a group large enough to have an audience.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.