What Does the Customer Value?
Don Shapiro is known as the eyes of the customer because of his ability to understand how customers think. Don helps businesses in over 34 industries boost sales by over 20% and has 33 years of research into customer value. He is currently working on a book called Stealth Value. In this interview, Don discusses the importance of digging deeper when discovering customer value. He talks about how it is a salesperson’s job to guide and lead the buyer who is typically so overwhelmed with their day-to-day tasks and information overload.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
What is stealth value?
- It’s about something that is hidden deep within the customer. Don talks about what he learned in his 33 years of research.
- You think you have uncovered all the needs but you should go deeper. Don gives a hypothetical example.
Real meaning of value
- What’s your definition of value? It might be an outdated one.
- The customer assigns a value to everything. What are their priorities?
- Salespeople are so focused on the sale and sometimes forget about the whole world surrounding the customer.
- The consultant has to come in without a preconceived notion.
- You have to change the reality of the customer.
- It may seem counterintuitive to bring more people into the selling process but you need to understand everything at play.
- Don’t think you are in a subservient role in sales. You know things the buyer doesn’t know.
- The buyer having more access to information today than ever before does not necessarily mean they are more informed.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.