There are many reasons customers may be (virtually) walking away from your e-commerce site. Some of these reasons include:
- An ugly page design: no one wants to look at something that’s ugly!
- Being too clingy: asking customers to provide too much information upfront is a great way to deter them from sticking around
- Unexpected costs: Finding out there will be unexpected costs at the end of the shopping process will often deter customers
- Unappealing content: With all of the different options for reading content online, if your content isn’t pristine and seductive, consumers will go elsewhere to get what they want.
- Confusing navigation: Convenience is one of the biggest draws for e-commerce, but if your website is difficult to use and not very user-friendly, chances are customers won’t want to use it.
Luckily, Matt Wollersheim has come up with several solutions to help customers stick around!
- Remove one data field in your online form: This will help cut down on the time it takes to load the page and fill out the information.
- Invest in mobile design: Make sure that users can access a nice website on any device, be it a computer, phone, or tablet.
- Switch to HTML5 for video content and animations: This is a more modern platform that simply works better and more efficiently.
- Use a cleaner page design: Keep it simple, stupid!
- Lay out all fees and additional charges as soon as possible: Your customer will appreciate knowing what the expected cost is up front.
For more information on e-commerce and how to help your e-commerce business succeed, check out important SalesPOP! content such as Tech and Ecommerce Alliance to Marketing and Sales, Applying the AIDAS Theory to an ECommerce Website and Streamlining your eCommerce Business: 5 Tips for Entrepreneurs.