The Power of Hope in Life and Leadership
We’ve all heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Well, there is now a body of research on the science of hopefulness. After leading public relations and corporate communications at media giants Universal and Turner Broadcasting, Libby Gill began looking into this research and started her own coaching and leadership consulting company. In this interview, she discusses what a hope-driven leader is and the powerful components of hope theory. Libby explains how there are multiple ways to an end goal and that hope is a strategy that helps people follow along.
This Sales Expert Interview covers:
Insights from two pioneers from the medical and psychology communities
- How the Adult Situational Hope Scale was founded and what it looks at
How to motivate the people around you and instill hope
- We live in a fairly cynical society today. Leaders must understand that what they say is heard in different ways so the customization of their message is important.
- Everyone has an opportunity to exceed expectations. That’s real leadership.
Don’t be a bystander
- People tend to be more passive than they need to be, and it can be hard to lead people who don’t have drive. It’s much easier for us to connect to a mission when there is a narrative of success and passion behind it.
Working toward goals
- Often times we do things that aren’t actually working toward our goals if we take a step back to really think about it. Make sure you aren’t trying to solve every problem. Pick a couple of things that are really important.
- Communicating as a leader can be tough when you have a mix of different generations. Be careful not to categorize all millennials in the same way and don’t deny them a purpose.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.