In the competitive world of sales, transforming “maybes” into closed deals is the ultimate goal. But how do you achieve this consistently and create a predictable sales process? In a recent podcast episode with Jakub Hon, the co-founder and CEO of Sales Doc, we delved into the strategies and mindset shifts that can help you achieve this.
The Challenge of the “Maybe”
Salespeople often face the frustrating reality of promising deals getting stuck in a state of uncertainty. This often stems from two main issues:
- Wrongly Qualifying Leads: Qualifying leads early and accurately is crucial. If you’re bringing unqualified leads into your pipeline, it’s no wonder they’re not converting.
- Lack of Control in the Sales Process: Without a clear and defined sales process, it’s easy for deals to fall through the cracks. A predictable sales process provides structure and ensures consistency, guiding both salespeople and customers through each stage effectively.
Transforming Sales with a Defined Process
Jakub emphasizes the power of a well-structured sales process, highlighting its impact on identifying gaps and taking corrective actions to move deals forward. A defined process helps you:
- Set Clear Expectations: Clearly defined stages and milestones within the sales process set realistic expectations for both the salesperson and the customer, reducing uncertainty and frustration.
- Identify Pain Points Early: By having a structured approach, you can identify potential issues or objections early on, allowing you to address them promptly and increasing the likelihood of closing the deal.
- Track Progress and Performance: A defined sales process provides a framework for tracking progress and measuring the performance of individuals and the team as a whole. This data can be used to identify areas for improvement and optimize the process over time.
Beware the Illusion of a Large Pipeline
A large pipeline doesn’t always equate to success. While it’s important to have a good number of leads, it’s crucial to focus on the quality of those leads and their movement through the sales process. Jakub suggests:
- Regularly Review Your Pipeline: Schedule regular pipeline reviews to identify and eliminate unqualified or stagnant deals. This allows you to focus your efforts on the most promising opportunities.
- Prioritize Realistic Opportunities: Don’t get caught up in the numbers game. Instead, focus on deals that have a high probability of closing and allocate your resources accordingly.
- Embrace Honesty and Realistic Reporting: Encourage open communication and realistic reporting from your sales team. Overly optimistic forecasts can lead to poor decision-making and hinder progress.
Qualify Early and Often
Early and frequent qualification is essential to ensuring you’re investing time and effort in the right leads. Jakub advocates for:
- Involving Sales Managers in Qualification: Sales managers should actively participate in the qualification process, providing guidance and support to salespeople.
- Establishing Clear Qualification Criteria: Define clear criteria for what constitutes a qualified lead. This will help salespeople make informed decisions about which leads to pursue.
- Continuous Qualification: Don’t assume a lead is qualified forever. Reevaluate qualification throughout the sales process to ensure you’re still on track to close the deal.
Unleash the Power of Sales Doc
Jakub’s company, Sales Doc, specializes in sales outsourcing and consulting for tech companies. Their services include:
- Sales Process Implementation: They help organizations establish and implement effective sales processes, tailored to their specific needs and goals.
- Sales Team Upskilling: They provide training and coaching to sales teams, enhancing their skills and knowledge to navigate the sales process effectively.
- Fresh Perspective on Sales Strategies: They offer an external perspective on sales strategies, identifying areas for improvement and suggesting innovative approaches.
Achieving a predictable sales process requires a combination of strategy, mindset, and the right tools. By incorporating Jakub’s insights and considering the services offered by Sales Doc, you can transform your sales team into a force to be reckoned with, consistently converting “maybes” into closed deals and driving business growth.