Common Sales Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
#SalesChats: Episode 43
There are basic sales mistakes that we all know about, but there are less obvious mistakes that salespeople are still making that lowers their revenue generation and reduces their paycheck. Greg Dunne discusses avoiding sales mistakes in this #SalesChat, hosted by John Golden and Martha Neumeister.
• The most common thing salespeople make is being afraid. As a result of this fear, they move too quickly and don’t gather enough information about how to solve their prospect’s problems
• How the environment of “selling scared” was created
• The damage of going in with one outcome in mind, and not thinking out alternatives
• What results when a salesperson isn’t empathic
• How to set expectations early on
• The problems that result from not being properly trained or not understanding the market sufficiently enough
• The mistake of being open-minded, or not being genuinely curious, in the sales process
• Not gathering enough information on motivation is one of the biggest mistakes salespeople make
• Using the same pitch at every stage of the sales cycle instead of customizing it depending on the prospect and product is a significant mistake with serious consequences
• The importance of understanding your buyer and your target market
Greg Dunne is the Founder and CEO of Mansfield Sales Partners. Using his executive sales management and sales consulting expertise, he helps companies from around the world design, test, and implement sales strategies for rapid and sustainable growth in the US market. After a successful career running sales for technology vendors, he has spent the last 10 years working in close partnership with an inspiring mix of entrepreneurs, investors and C-suite teams from around the world, shaping their sales strategies and mapping their ideal paths to growth. By using objective sales data and market feedback, Greg and his team at Mansfield Sales Partners can determine the ideal strategy, messaging, tools, metrics and enablement programs to maximize revenue growth for their clients.
John is the Amazon bestselling author of Winning the Battle for Sales: Lessons on Closing Every Deal from the World’s Greatest Military Victories and Social Upheaval: How to Win at Social Selling. A globally acknowledged Sales & Marketing thought leader, speaker, and strategist. He is CSMO at Pipeliner CRM. In his spare time, John is an avid Martial Artist.
Martha is social media strategist, responsible for all social media platforms of Pipeliner CRM. She is a communication expert with social media affinity, which she has been focusing on throughout her professional career. She has a bachelor´s degree in Entrepreneurship & Management and a master´s degree in Online Marketing which supports her in her career as Social Media Strategist.
SalesChats is a fast-paced (no more than 30 minutes) multi-media series that provides leading strategies, tactics and thinking for sales professionals worldwide. It can be found on Twitter (#SalesChats), as a live Google+ Hangout, and as a podcast available on iTunes, SoundCloud and right here on SalesPOP! If you think you would make a great guest for #SalesChats, please contact co-host Martha Neumeister.
SalesChats is co-hosted by John Golden, CSO Pipeliner CRM, and Martha Neumeister, Social Media Strategist Pipeliner CRM.