One of the things you might love doing on your phone is to listen to music. But how do you get your best playlist on your phone from your Mac? As an experienced Apple user, you might know well that all Apple devices are connected. A single Apple ID, an iCloud account, iTunes library, and even the all-new Apple TV app can be interconnected. However, you will be amazed to discover that you will still be required to go an extra mile to put your MP3 music on your iPhone even with such kinds of connections. Do not fret yet. This guide will show you how to add your MP3 music to your iPhone from your Mac.
Using Music to transfer MP3
Music app on your Mac computer is an evolution from iTunes, which now consists of Music, Podcasts, and TV. You can sync all the playlists or selected songs from your Mac to the iPhone with ease. However, if you subscribe to Apple Music, your songs will be automatically transferred to your iPhone without sync. Hence, to synchronize your music into your iPhone, if you are a subscriber to Apple Music, you will need to turn off the option to Sync Library in Apple Music preferences.
To sync music to your iPhone:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac computer. You can connect it using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection.
- Go to Finder on your Mac and select your iPhone in the Finder bar. In case your device does not appear on the Finder Sidebar, confirm that it is the latest iOS version. Then in the Finder, choose Finder > Preferences > and then click on Sidebar. You will find Locations, select the CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices tick box. Click on your iPhone and proceed with synching.
- Proceed to select Music in the button bar
- Select the “Sync music onto iPhone” tickbox to start syncing your music. This option will transfer all your music to the iPhone.
- Alternatively, you can select particular music. Click on “Select playlist, artists, albums and genres.”
- Proceed to select the tickbox for the individual music items that you intend to sync in the music list.
- Then, select the syncing options that include syncing music with videos or including voice memos.
- After you have decided on all the items to sync, click “Apply.” This will copy all your selected music items to your iPhone, and you can now listen to your favorite artists from your phone, wherever you are.
Adding MP3 to iPhone from cloud storage
When you have your songs in iCloud, you can access them in your library on your iPhone. If you make any changes to your iCloud Music Library, the changes are made throughout all synced devices, including your Mac computer. The good thing about having your music on iCloud is that you can access it from any other synced device. As explained in this guide, https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-transfer-mp3-to-iphone, you will not have to worry about your Music app converting your MP3 songs to other formats. To get to sync your music to iCloud, you need to sign up for a free Apple ID. You will instantly create an account that will give you 5 GB of cloud storage. If you find the space inadequate for your storage needs, you have various options and packages that you can choose from and purchase. So, how do you use cloud services to transfer music files to your iPhone?
- Simply open the Finder on your Mac computer and click on the cloud service in the Sidebar. The cloud service could be Google Drive, DropBox, or even iCloud.
- Select the music files on your Mac computer, drag and drop the selected items on a specific folder in the cloud.
- Then, open the cloud service app on your iPhone and download your music files into your phone.
Using AirDrop to transfer MP3 to your iPhone
AirDrop allows you to transfer files among your supported Macintosh computers and iOS devices over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This service does not require you to use mail or even a mass storage device either. So, how do you transfer MP3 files to your iPhone using AirDrop?
- Launch Control Center by swiping up from the bottom bezel of your iPhone.
- Turn on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and then AirDrop.
- On your Mac computer, right-click the MP3 file. Tap on Share > AirDrop
- Your iPhone will be displayed in the popup Window. Click the user name of your iPhone.
- The MP3 files selected will start transferring to your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, a Window will popup. Tap “Accept” and choose and select the appropriate player to listen to it.
Using VLC to transfer MP3 to your iPhone
VLC is a powerful media player that plays many media and video formats. The newest version of the app includes the Wi-Fi upload feature. This allows you to upload files to your iPhone from Mac or Web browser. To download MP3 files using VLC and transfer them to your iPhone, ensure that your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone. Then:
- Download the VLC Media Player from the App Store to your iPhone
- Tap the VLC logo in the top left corner. Click on “Sharing via Wi-Fi” in the left Sidebar to turn it on.
- Enter the VLC server’s IP address running on your iOS device in the Web browser of your computer.
- Click on the “+” button or drag-and-drop your MP3 files into the browser.
- Then, open VLC Media Player on iPhone. You will get to see the transferred MP3 files displayed on the main window. To listen to the music, just click on the file title.
In a nutshell
Hurray! Music is life, or so the adage goes. That is why you might want to listen to your favorite collection even when you are away from your computer. As you have seen from our discussion, there are numerous ways through which you can transfer MP3 files from your Mac computer to your iPhone. You just need to find out which works best for you and use it!